It Begins With California Redwood.
We use more California Redwood in each playset than any other playset company.
U.S. grown California redwood is the natural, responsible, and the number one choice for Woodplay — we share your commitment to the environment.
Our wood comes from sustainable, managed forests. In fact, our redwood partner received a conservation award from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Here’s more good news: California redwood makes our playsets the most naturally strong, safe and durable products on the market!
Woodplay is like California Redwood: Strong and Safe.
From the redwood forest to your backyard, Woodplay makes environmentally sound choices a priority.
- Redwood has dimensional stability. According to the Forest Products Laboratory of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, redwood has less volumetric and tangential shrinkage. This means redwood stays flat and straight with minimal warping, cupping (the edges of the woods are high and its center is low) or checking (cracking).
- Redwood resists disease and decay. Redwood contains tannin, which is harmless to humans and animals yet toxic to fungi. Fungal disease causes decay in other woods.
- Redwood is naturally immune to insects.
- Redwood’s strength and durability make our playset structures safe for heavy-duty use and kids of all sizes — including Dad.
- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends natural wood, like redwood, for outdoor playsets.
- Our water-based wood stains are low in VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and safe for our children, our pets, wildlife, and the air we breathe.
- We aggressively recycle to keep materials out of the waste stream.
- Through kanban (just-in-time) production practices, our optimal inventory levels use resources efficiently and save energy.
- To reduce CO2 and other emissions, whenever possible we team with transit providers who participate in the U.S. EPA SmartWay® transport partnership.
- Our redwood requires no dangerous chemical preservatives — unlike wood species that are pressure treated to artificially extend product life because redwood is naturally resistant to decay.
Why Our California Redwood Tops Other Trees.
- Our California Redwood is grown in sustainable, managed forests.
- California’s forestry laws for sustainability and resource conservation are the most stringent in the world.
- Woodplay’s redwood resource complies with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI). SFI Forest Certification requires sites to be replanted with native species and actively conserve resources, including water, air, soil and wildlife habitats. For every redwood tree harvested, five are required to be planted. For more information about SFI, visit: www.sfiprogram.org
- Our redwood partner received a conservation award from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
- Redwood trees get their reddish-brown bark and heartwood from high levels of harmless tannin.
- Redwood tannin and other natural chemicals help protect the wood from fungal disease, insects, and deterioration — even after harvesting and milling.
- The tallest, old-growth California redwood trees are protected by federal law and are not harvested.
- Redwood is one of the fastest-growing timber species on earth.
- Redwood forests of new, young trees are expanding at an impressive rate.
- According to the California Redwood Association, close to 400,000 acres of redwood forests are preserved in public parks and reserves.
Woodplay chooses California Redwood for all of the excellent reasons listed here, as well as for its ability to retain its beauty and luster.